Although every dental or oral health problem must be taken care of by a dentist, there are several common problems that require immediate attention. Otherwise, these issues could lead to more severe problems that can be physically, emotionally, mentally, and financially straining. Here are some of the most common dental health problems that require an immediate visit to the dentist:
- Halitosis/bad breath – Bad breath or
halitosis is mostly caused by other oral health problems and can usually
be treated with effective treatment of those problems. People suffering
from halitosis may have a hard time socializing with low confidence
levels. Dry mouth, cavities, gum diseases, and oral cancer are some of the
oral problems that can cause bad breath.
- Periodontal diseases – Gum diseases,
otherwise known as periodontal diseases, are essentially infections that
affect the gums. They are among the leading causes of tooth loss in
adults. Gingivitis and periodontitis are the two stages of gum infection.
- Tooth decay – Also known as cavities, tooth
decay are among the most prevalent diseases in several countries. This
problem is caused by bacteria that feed on sugar from leftover food in the
mouth. The bacteria produce an acidic substance that can eat away at the
enamel of teeth and result in cavities.
- Sensitivity – Tooth sensitivity is also quite
common among adults throughout the world. People suffering from this
problem experience a sharp pain or discomfort in the teeth and gums when
consuming sweet or cold substances. The pain can even occur at the time of
brushing, making it uncomfortable for people to follow through with their
daily dental hygiene routine.
- Tooth erosion – This is somewhat similar to tooth decay in that the causes are similar. Tooth erosion is when the acid produced by the bacteria weakens the enamel of the teeth. This results in cracking or chipping of the enamel, which requires immediate attention.
Toothaches are also another reason to see your dentist. Aside from your regular dentist visits, make sure you go to the dentist if you’re suffering from any of these problems.